[pianotech] key leveling with a curve

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 14 18:06:52 MDT 2010

Seems like this topic is one of those re-occurring, yearly topics which gets debated each and every  year. If you feel that putting a crown in your leveling will make things better... by all means, go for it. If you don't, then don't.  There's no love loss either way.
I remember talking with Eric Schandell at one of the Steinway seminars about this very topic. And his response was...."better be careful about talking about the mystical things done here at Steinway". This was one of things he was always trying to get a straight answer for and the only legitimate reasoning was the appearance of a straight line appears to slope, vs a crowned line gives the appearance of being straight. Everything else is smoke and mirrors.
As far as making a very nice crown key leveling stick, simply go to your local Home Depot to the Piano Technician department. Get a long U shaped aluminum stick in their trough of aluminum and steel rod supplies. I get the thinnest they have.
Cut the rail to the length of most keyboards. To put the crown in, simply sit in a chair and laying the rail across your thighs, with thighs spread about 18". With as even of pressure of both of your hands, start to put a  very slight pressure on both ends. It doesn't take much to put a 32" crown. Check your work on a flat surface. If you bend it too far, simply reverse the procedure to the desired bend.
Also, this leveling devise doubles as a straight edge as the sides that weren't bent will remain straight.  A two-for-one leveling device for under $10.
I was on assignment at a college and had forgot my leveling device. I made a duplicate in the parking of Home Depot in a matter of minutes. Cheap and easy...my preference for a good jig.
Tom Servinsky