[pianotech] bridge notching machines - search-able title

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Oct 18 20:25:14 MDT 2010

On 10/18/2010 8:26 PM, David Love wrote:
> That's helpful.  And how does the indexing work?  Is it an eyeball thing or
> do you have some more precise method.

It's visual. The hold down was originally notched by the cutter feeding
to the stop. The resulting notch in the hold down is the visual index.
It's a decent sighting system, in practice.

>I recall seeing the notcher at the
> Charles Walter factory and it somehow (don't recall now) indexed off of an
> adjacent bridge pin hole, though my memory is a bit fuzzy.

As is my vision. The photos I have of the Walter notcher look to me like
it's entirely seat of the pants eyeball. Mine, I think, is somewhat more
benign.

>Might be worth a
> trip to KC just for this.

Welcome. They didn't go for my all day belly class (a bummer), but I got
a couple of tool related things, and a class on terminations. I'll have
toys there you'll very likely find interesting. Hopefully somewhere near
worth the trip and time.

Ron N