[pianotech] Definition of Rebuilding

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 19 11:36:29 MDT 2010

You are right Ryan.  I cannot count the times a client said "my hammers were
"replaced" when in fact, they were only filed.  And sometimes quite badly at
that.  Or, "my piano was rebuilt" when it was only reconditioned a little
bit at best. To them, because they might have spent $700, it was rebuilt!
They get lost in the mumble jumble of terminology.  "KISS."  "Keep it simple
stupid" is always best when explaining anything to a client.

I itemize everything that I do.  That does not mean that I itemize all
prices separately, I do not.  I simply itemize filing hammers, tightening
action flange screws, space hammers to strings, mate hammers to strings
etc., then at the end place a total cost for the estimate.  I then go
through and explain everything as simply as possible sticking to the point
making sure to answer any and all questions.

I often make mention of the cost of replacement for something comparable.
This too, brings them down to earth as to what they would be spending if
they traded it instead.

Jer