[pianotech] Pushing a piano and rug on a wood floor

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 27 15:11:01 MDT 2010

How come I get the weird questions?

The customer has a Yamaha GC1 that is on a fancy area rug--with a pad underneath, I assume. The room has hardwood floors and the piano/rug combo are in the middle of the room. The holidays are coming and she wants to move the piano/rug combo over to one side so there is room for the Christmas tree. She was wondering if her husband pushed on the piano (without standing on the rug, of course) and she pulled on the rug, if that would be an acceptable way to move it. I'll admit, my dining table is on a rug & pad on a wood floor and I can move the combo, even though it has a cast iron base and is heavy. But it's a table, not a piano.

Has anyone heard of doing this?
Has anyone done this?
Has anyone had to fix the results of someone doing this?

I suppose it would work if they lifted up enough of the rug so people--that is multiple persons--could be around the piano to make the move.

I just need a little reassurance here.

Thanks,

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois