[pianotech] Amazing Victorian uprights was Alternate.....

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sat Oct 30 13:49:53 MDT 2010

Right, Dale. The trouble is, if they are here, those great old heavy
uprights, I don't want them sent to horrid climates. I want them here,
where I get to tune them and work on them ...

This isn't completely selfish on my part. I tend to look at many things
through "Peak Oil" eyes. At some point, whole-house air conditioning all
through the hot muggy season, especially for large houses, might be
mostly for very rich people. Just what the Central Valley will be like
at that point hardly bears thinking about. There are other architectural
styles which can help, like adobe walls three feet thick, and the old
Persian building style with long cone-shaped towers which send the hot
air out and bring the cool lower air in, but getting such houses built
will take time.

Most of the well-preserved VERY HEAVY upright gems survived through
times before air conditioning, but many through the luck of being
brought west or to the high desert before they got funky from 10%-95%
humidity swings. I remember one Baldwin grand which a lady had brought
from Florida. It had been rebuilt. She was very proud of it. I'm sorry,
but that thing was a heap. The soundboard was pathetic, mending and all.
She should have left it in Florida. It had already given its all.

I remember another good old upright which I really struggled with,
against my better judgment. A Packard, I believe. All the wood was dark
brown. The leathers on the butts were shriveled into stony lumps because
people had first sprayed lubricant (probably WD-40) on the action to fix
sluggishness, then doused it with alcohol when the lubricant got gummy.
That piano taught me that brushing some vodka onto a shank and then
using the hot bending pliers would get the shank to turn (temporarily)
to butter and go wherever I wanted instead of crackling and busting. It
also showed me that trying to retrieve something that far gone was
pretty much a lost cause.

This makes it all the more important to hang onto the ones which aren't
so far gone. I like your dream, Dale. I think it's possible, given a bit
more time. People are starting to understand that the old stuff was the
good stuff. It is a matter of bridging the time till their rarity and
desirability grow enough for people to put some real money into
high-class restoration. This already seems to work for old Steinway
uprights, and Mason & Hamlin. Eventually some of the other good brands
may follow suit. We just don't want them to have been used as  trebuchet
ammunition or turned into liquor cabinets in the meantime.

Susan Kline