[pianotech] Amazing Victorian uprights....was alternate...

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat Oct 30 08:23:10 MDT 2010

 Hi Susan
  Having been in my shop on many occasions you know I love old uprights in a Victorian case, a  manufacturing time capsule  that will never be equaled. Virgin timbers, fierce competition and highly skilled American /immigrant craftsman from across Europe combined to make stellar instruments.  The entertainment center of the day.  A high symbol of class and musical cultural. When singing was considered way cool and done with abandon and great fun  aaaand playing the piano even more cool. A real status symbol
    I have this dream/illusion that someday folks around the country will realize how and gorgeous amazing these upright pianos are, These treasures built from the 1890 to about 1910 will never be built again....aaaand that many are worth restoring and will spend lots of money to restore and PLAY them.
 Hey , it's a dream, but it could happen and occasionally one of those  folks spend real money to do just that. We have one now.
  Before he died Carl Meyer  RPTfrom San Jose gave me one of his treasures and he knew I would probably the only one that was nuts enough to restore it someday. A gorgeous Hardman Upright with an amazing Vic case.  Needs everything. Someday I will and someday I will exhibit it...in his honor!
 Regards

Dale S. Erwin
www.Erwinspiano.com
Custom piano restoration
Ronsen piano hammers-sales
R & D  and tech support
Sitka soundboard panels
209-577-8397
209-985-0990

I realize that the Vose upright is just another old piano,
I regularly tune an old Vose upright in good original condition (sometimes the Pacific Northwest's climate practically acts like putting something into a time capsule.)

I can't imagine anyone selling something like this for $15k, but if the facts were known to potential buyers, a Vose upright in a reasonable state of preservation ought to sell for a lot more than they probably do now.

Susan Kline
=