[pianotech] billing dilemma with pitch raises

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 31 15:01:50 MDT 2010

And, where do you stop the so called level of "minor repairs?"  Is a broken
key considered a minor repair?  After all, it will probably "only take" an
additional 20 minutes or so, to fix it?  With so many parts inside of a
piano, how can one include "minor repairs" in your tuning fee without also
knowing the amount of time involved?   If you give set aside a 2 hour time
frame for tuning and only use 1 hour, do you still charge for 2 hours?

 Charging by the hour is common in all business areas.  Giving away
something as being included in a tuning fee is usually done frequently in
the piano tuning profession.  A car tune up is a car tune up.  That doesn't
include outside  "minor repairs."    Nor do they consider it a nuisance of
explaining and figuring charges for every trifle.  Last time I looked, they
even charged me to fill up my window washer fluid.  Never mind the fact that
it was nearly full when I drove in there.  J

Jer