[pianotech] CA glue for split fall?

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 9 12:26:06 MDT 2011

JD asked: " I have a grand fall of solid walnut veneered on the outside with burl
> walnut and on the face with pearwood (polished black). There is an
> almost invisible crack running about 10 inches in from the bass end
> about an inch in from the front curve but the crack goes only about
> 2/3 of the way through the walnut substrate so that the name side is
> not affected.
>
> If I apply lightish pressure I can open the crack to about 1/2
> millimetre. If I opened it wider there is a risk it would go through
> to the name side. This opening is not wide enough to work hot glue
> right into the crack even with a hot feeler gauge and I'm considering
> the possibility of using CA glue. People who have used thin
> modellers' CA glue for tightening wrestpins talk of it 'wicking' in,
> and I am wondering if it would be suitable for this repair and wick
> down deep into the crack, which i would then clamp tight for a day or
> two.
>
> I'd be glad to hear from people with experience of this stuff whether
> that sounds like a good solution for this repair."
>
> JD,
I would strongly suggest you use the proper substance. <G> I would suggest using Clear Epoxy. A way to get epoxy to "wick" like CA, is to heat the area and use a heat gun/hairdryer to keep it that way, while using an artist's pallette knife to work the epoxy into the crack. Once you have gotten penetration deep into the crack, I'd suggest using a ratchet strap for a clamp. Light clamping is all that is needed, as epoxy tends to fill voids.
Leave in clamp for the appropriate "set time". Oh, clean up the excess epoxy with a rag dampened with lacquer thinner. That should do the trick. If the finish of the key "fall" is lacquer, then you will best remove the most of the excess epoxy with a dry cotton rag. Light "scraping" with a hardwood scraper after set up should remove the excess "film" of epoxy afterwards.

Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police