[pianotech] Cleaning the plate

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Thu Aug 11 09:57:28 MDT 2011

Yes, 409 contains bleach. If you spray and let it soak it will bleach the
areas where it runs leaving splotchy coloration. Best to spray on uniformly
as possible and wipe off quickly. I like full strength as I find a little
dilution hugely reduces its effectiveness. I mostly use it on 80 year pianos
that are pretty nasty to start out, so I can't make them any worse.

Use a brush or paint brush to work it around hitch pins and tuning pins. It
is pretty nice if you have an air compressor to blow it out of those pin
fields into a waiting cloth. A canister vacuum on the blower side using the
crevice tool will also work at giving you a high velocity air stream.

Dean

Dean W May                        (812) 235-5272 voice and text

PianoRebuilders.com           (888) DEAN-MAY

Terre Haute IN 47802           Give us a LIKE on Facebook! Go to
PianoRebuilders.com

  _____