[pianotech] Wurlitzer spinet

Richard W. Bushey rbushey4 at embarqmail.com
Fri Dec 2 15:49:59 MST 2011

Richard,

This may be far off...or not...but when I've had rattles like what you're
describing and couldn't find it and it was usually loose plastic/ivory
keytops.  I've noticed it especially with plastic sharps I've noticed.  They
will often look and feel pretty tight, but there can be a hairline crack in
the glue joint between the wood key and the keytop/sharp, and that will make
a terrible rattle when the key returns to rest.

What makes me think of this as a possiblity is that with downward finger
pressure, there is no rattle, but on the up stroke with no finger pressure,
the jarring stop at the top of the key's upward movement causes the rattle.
Also, when the hammer is dropped against the hammer rest rail, it will
lilely jar the key and the loose top can rattle then as well.

I may be way off here, and it may not be that at all, but anytime I hear a
distinctive rattle, like you're described, I check the keytops first.  Just
thought I'd throw it out as another suggestion.

Hope you can track it down! Those little rattles can be so many things, it
can get frustrating trying to locate them.

Just use a systematic approach to eliminate possible culprits and you're
sure to find it sooner or later....hopefully sooner than later!

Richard W. Bushey
Richard's Piano Service
www.RichardsPianoService.com
Rbushey at RichardsPianoService.com