[pianotech] Broadwood Grand Question on other list

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 2 21:35:23 MST 2011

It was asked/said, (on the other list): "Subject: value of a John Broadwood
grand
Message: I have a customer with 6'4" Broadwood A-A. It is from the 1880s
and in pretty good shape considering its age. It is straight strung, has
wooden pedals, wood key frame, and all original parts except for 1 bass
string. He is trying to decide if and how much rebuiding to under take. Any
info or help would be appreciated."

If someone wishes to forward this to the "other list", please feel free.<G>
The Grand, in question, is NOT and  an 1880's grand! Most likely it is a
vintage of the early 1860's or 1870's. Since Broadwood has such a weird
numbering system, this sort of confusion runs rampant. The keys to my
assessment are: 1. wooden pedal, (I suspect two only. Sostenuto was not
invented until mid 1870's) 2. It being "straight strung", makes it of the
dates above. The better term would be Flat Strung or Parallel Strung....all
strings being on the same lateral plane. If someone has a copy of "By
Appointment" the dating could be better done from the info therein. As for
the "wood key frame" thang, that is not relevent to anything, since most
brands have a wood key. I suspect this is actually referring to Wooden
Action Brackets. If so, it still does not mean anything, since many
manufacturers were using that "feature" into the 20th century! I suspect
the action is a Renner type.
In the Broadwood numbering system, the model and size of the instrument is
most relevent. I suspect they started a whole new numbering for each new
"model's" inception. Go figger. As for the value of said instrument? My
first question would be: How much did you pay for it? Second question: How
would you use the piano after rebuilding? Third Question: How much are you
willing to spend? From that I'd have an idea where this is all going and
why.<G> If the client is unwilling or hesitant to answer any of those
questions, then I would vacate the premises ASAP.<G>
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police