[pianotech] Broadwood Grand

Rob & Helen Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Fri Dec 2 23:48:43 MST 2011

?I'm not so sure if I can provide any assessment in "value" since pianos
like this seem to be valued more at what someone is willing to pay rather
then what a seller thinks it's worth.  I am a little curious about it
though, I'd love to see a few pictures.  About 5 years ago I got a call from
a lady who told me that she was moving, had to get out of her house by the
next day, and had "an old grand piano" in her house that she needed to get
rid of.  I've heard this many times as I know others have only to find out
that it's some worthless PSO.  When I asked what it was and she said
Broadwood she had my full attention.  As it turned out it was located in one
of the worse neighborhoods in town.  Let's put it this way, you wouldn't
walk around there at night without packing some heat.  I entered the dumpy
little house to discover a Broadwood staring at me!  It is as you describe
with wood pedals, straight strung, etc.  All she wanted to do was get rid of
it and I was more then happy to take it off her hands.  It has been sitting
on it's side in my shop for a few years now.  Inside written in pencil is,
presumably by the makers, is 1843  The serial number also confirms this.  It
is dilapidated but nevertheless in good condition for being almost 170 years
old.  I'd like to restore it one day but I have know idea when that will be.
It is very primitive with a simple and somewhat backwards action and very
tiny hammers.  The music rack has some nice scrolling and the legs are
interesting.

What is fascinating about it for me is the history.  Not just the piano but
it's personal story.   Think for just a moment about the time; it was made
in 1843.  The Gold Rush would not start for another six years.  Abraham
Lincoln would not become president for another 18 years.  Construction on
the Transcontinental Railroad would not begin for another 20 years, 26 years
by the time it was completed!  Think for a moment about the period.  Only
the very wealthy could afford a piano so an affluent family would have owned
it, probably in Europe.  There was no electricity and all transportation was
on horseback or carriage.  A sailing ship was required to come to America.
Now think for a moment about it being played.  At night an oil lamp was
required.  The home was heated by a fireplace.  Can you visualize
entertaining evening guests playing Chopin only by firelight?  And by the
way Chopin would have still been alive for another six years so this would
have been at the peak of his popularity.  What would a piano lesson have
been like?  What conversations took place around this piano?  If it could
talk I'm sure the stories it could tell would be fascinating.  Those who
played, touched, and enjoyed this piano died generations ago and have been
completely forgotten, likely even by their living relatives.  There are no
pictures of them, no records of any kind.  All that remains is the piano.

Someday I hope I'll have a chance to bring it back to life.  It is more then
a piano, it is a time machine.  It is a monument to another generation that
we will never have the pleasure of meeting.  And yet after all of that it
somehow ended up in a dumpy little house in the worse part of Las Vegas in
the middle of gangland.  It also serves as a reminder that one day we will
also be long gone.  Like the family who owned this piano in 1843, unless you
are someone of great importance- a great inventor, a billionaire, an
important politician-  we will be forgotten.   On the other hand assuming it
survives another 170 years the piano will be 340 years old!

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV