[pianotech] Wandering Capstan Screws

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Dec 4 22:08:36 MST 2011

On 12/4/2011 10:44 PM, David Skolnik wrote:
> Ah, thank you Buddha.
> though you may mean
> to mock me
> your reply made
> me laugh
> deeply
> and think

No mocking intended, but there is still a pretty big hole in the
concept. Thinking was the intent. We tend to make quick assumptions and
start generating supporting details, when the assumptions don't really
connect with observation.

So far, the only difference mentioned between this installation and
others that don't manifest the problem is that the others used action
cloth and this one felt. The felt, I'd expect, would wear an indentation
from the screw more deeply than the cloth, so would show a more
effective thickness change between the screw top and wippen bottom with
a slight position change, which I'd also expect would more with felt
than cloth. The randomness of the change indicates it's not a humidity
induced thickness change, but it could still be a  slight repositioning
of an indentation over the screw that's different on each key. I'd
suggest action cloth mounted on the wippen bottom and replace the screws
with capstans.

Ron N