[pianotech] tuning

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Tue Dec 6 06:57:51 MST 2011

Marshall,
 I'll refrain from the dietary suggestions as I need improvement in that
area myself, but I do have suggestions for easing the strain both mentally
and physically.
One of my service calls yesterday illustrates well.
 The piano was an old upright that I have serviced some years before. It was
@ pitch so a P.R. was not required.
  First I adjust pedals --especially sustain.  I tuned the middle section
from the first tenor string to the break. Mentally notating any issues along
the way. Then adjusted  lost motion in that section , reglued as few loose
hammers, spaced a damper , Etc. Quick tuned bass from top down --same
troubleshooting . Then treble tuning -same deal on action - keys.
I got up went to the car and smoked a joint---JUST KIDDING --wanted to see
if you guy's were paying attention. Actually I go out for a few minutes if
I need something from the car or not.
 I made out the invoice .
I then leveled a few natural keys  and fine tuned the bass. Recheck unisons
throughout.
Present the invoice then walk away to reassemble the case and put my tools
away.
I'm finishing that task ,  hopefully putting on my coat as the check arrives
so my retreat less likely to be slowed down by stories of the blind piano
tuner , Grandma was a concert pianist and my father and brothers smashed up
an old piano and threw it out.

It may take a bit longer when each task is broken up this way , but  I don't
jam my appointments together as I might have done as a younger man.
Just my take.

Tom D.
P.S. I think this can help in avoiding repetitive motion problems. I.E.
carpal tunnel syndrome

Subject: Re: [pianotech] tuning