[pianotech] postponed list death

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Mon Dec 12 18:11:06 MST 2011

Sorry for the length.. It grew on its own.

William -
I'm not sure when you first began to participate on the list, either
reading or contributing, but I'd gently remind you that, in its
origination and for many years thereafter, this list was independent
of any connection with PTG, other than the fact that most of its
participants were also PTG members, and guild related topics did come
up.  Ron K's quoted excerpt below suggests why there was often such
misperception, even before the organization took more assertive
'ownership' of list communication.

Further, it is true the there are still many members who are not
subscribed to PTG-L, but that was the case, I think, even before the
move to the new system.  It's not that they don't care,
necessarily.  It might just be seem like more source of data
overload.  There are undoubtedly many others who remain daunted by
the sign up process, or who have had technical difficulties, like Joe
Goss described this morning.  Tlhey can't access PTG-L.  Then there
are, as Ron K pointed out, list subscribers who are not members.  You
are mistaken to assert that this list was, in any way, weighted
towards PTG membership.  Those non-members have as much right to
express opinions about the way this list functions, or dys-functions,
as anyone else.

Ron K's comments were on point, not overstated in expressing
disappointment or exasperation at the illogic of the communication
about the list being distributed only on PTG-L.  I was  too.  I had
sent the following to President Coleman this morning, when I first
read his post to that list:

>Jim -
>I would have copied that post to this list, but, given the recent
>concerns about protocol, I thought it best not to.  I can understand
>that you would want to do all you can to encourage the membership to
>sign up and realize they have access to ptg-l, however, many of them
>are still not there, and there remain some subscribers to the old
>lists who are not members and would therefore not be aware of any
>information posted there.  If you feel it inappropriate for you, in
>an official capacity, to post to pianotech at ptg.org, (and, I suppose,
>CAUT), perhaps you can authorize the posting of any relevant information.
>Thanks.
>
>David Skolnik RPT
>Hastings on Hudson, NY

to which he sent this reply, received when I got home this evening:

>David,
>I figured someone would repost.
>Feel free.
>-Jim

so I am:

>Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 15:26:31 -0500
>From: Jim Coleman <noreply at egroups.ptg.org>
>Subject: PTG-L: my.ptg.org and Mailman lists
>
>It is easy to understand why so many have written to me and the
>Board about the demise of the Mailman lists (Pianotech and
>PTG-L).  However, from our standpoint, it is difficult to try to
>keep answering all of them because the picture is in a constant state of flux.
>
>What I can say for now is that as I write this post, we have four
>individuals who are close to the situation, in Wash. DC attending a
>forum with the Higher Logic folks. They are attending various
>classes, getting some one-on-one time with HL people and asking many questions.
>
>This is a fairly recent opportunity made available to us so we are
>taking full advantage of the Forum.
>
>In that light, we have decided to postpone the closing-down of
>Pianotech and PTG-L untill our folks get back and the Board, Staff,
>Kent Swafford and Jim Moy all have a chance to decifer all the
>information gained.
>So for now....Merry Christmas!
>Respectfully,
>Jim Coleman, Jr  RPT
>President/PTG

While it might be possible to assume that the parties have yet to get
together to share information, it remains appropriate-seeming to me
to update the community in a timely manner, given the level of
consternation that this issue has generated.  I hope something
informative can be posted to the list tomorrow.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY