[pianotech] old list/new site

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Wed Dec 14 09:06:25 MST 2011

Ed, Floyd, all -
First, let me disclose that I am subscribed to many of the lists on
my.ptg.org, or egroups.ptg.org, including pianotech, usergroups,
ptg-l.  I do believe that, ultimately, there has to be some
significant revamping of our modes of communication.  I do believe
that there are technical limits to the on-going function of this
list, and that any change is going to present a learning curve that
will be tolerated more easily by some than others, HOWEVER, this does
not minimize the mis-steps that have been made in trying to effect
this change.  Two points in particular:  the technical obstacles to
the perpetuation of this list, even temporarily, need to be restated,
clearly, here, as well as any other list that admin deems
appropriate.  The disrespect that, intended or not, was perceived by
the inadequate consideration to those remaining exclusively on this
list was unnecessary.  Second, it seems likely to be clear, in
retrospect, that the new format, whatever it ultimately was going to
be, needed to be more fully tested, before effecting a full migration
from here.  That should be reason enough to do what is necessary to
postpone any termination.

Jim Coleman, President of PTG, has conveyed that this list will not
be shutting down on 12/15 (tomorrow) as originally announced.  That
is constructive.  The other constructive measures would be to:
- post informative updates here
- figure out how to better respectfully accommodate the resistive tendency.
- a larger team of coaches and more understanding of the anxieties
created by technology, in general.

Ed, one more thing.  Next time you want to say "check the archives",
please include a complete set of instructions, or at least a link to them.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY