[pianotech] 1889 Knabe Grand Soundboard Question

Patrick C. Poulson pcpoulson at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 17 09:50:22 MST 2011

Good morning: I evaluated an 1889 7' Knabe grand yesterday for possible restoration. My question is about the state of the soundboard. It has no cracks, and looks to be in good condition. I measured some crown across the middle of the board. I couldn't tell if there was much in the upper treble region, The bass and midrange of the piano have good sustain, and reasonable tone for a piano with original strings and hammers. The upper treble section, however, did not. Is this just the way these Knabe grands are usually, or is a new board a must? Never having rebuilt a Knabe grand, much less one of this age, I defer to wiser heads.
Thanks,
Patrick C. Poulson
Registered Piano Technician
530-265-1983