[pianotech] 1889 Knabe Grand Soundboard Question

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Dec 17 11:57:30 MST 2011

On 12/17/2011 10:50 AM, Patrick C. Poulson wrote:
> Good morning: I evaluated an 1889 7' Knabe grand yesterday for possible
> restoration. My question is about the state of the soundboard. It has no
> cracks, and looks to be in good condition. I measured some crown across
> the middle of the board. I couldn't tell if there was much in the upper
> treble region, The bass and midrange of the piano have good sustain, and
> reasonable tone for a piano with original strings and hammers. The upper
> treble section, however, did not. Is this just the way these Knabe
> grands are usually, or is a new board a must? Never having rebuilt a
> Knabe grand, much less one of this age, I defer to wiser heads.
> Thanks,
> Patrick C. Poulson
> Registered Piano Technician
> 530-265-1983

Most (but not all) of the problems involving dead boards occur in the
top half of the scale. You didn't mention bearing/crown correlations in
the first capo section, but the lack of tonal response in the treble
isn't a good sign. With the age, and what you've said, I'd expect the
board needs replaced.

Ron N