[pianotech] Baldwin upright: bobbling hammers, poor checking

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 22 09:01:30 MST 2011

List,

today I tuned a Baldwin from about 1980. With a fortissimo blow there was only a poor checking and therefore some nearly bobbling hammers. I think the reason is that the catcher buckskin and the backcheck felt don´t have a strong enough grip. Or it could be that the overall geometry of the action is not so well designed. There was enough aftertouch and no problem with a piano or forte blow.

 We don´t see many Baldwins here, but I guess in the USA this problem might be well known? The cather buckskin is made of a strange material, no leather.

Ever experienced that on a Baldwin (about 105 cm height).

Gregor

piano technician - tuner - dealer
Münster, Germany
www.weldert.de