[pianotech] Baldwin upright: bobbling hammers, poor checking

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 09:36:57 MST 2011

Hi Gregor,
That material is what we call corfam: Baldwin's inappropriate substitute
for true buckskin. Most of us are familiar with the tan version, but George
Emerson has recently testified that an earlier, less hardening black
version was called corfam by the factory back in the day.
In the US most often the corfam is replaced with ecsaine, a good synthetic
buckskin substitute. If the owner has the budget to correct the problem.
Patrick Draine