[pianotech] Yamaha GA1 Barely 10 years old Has Loose Tuning Pins- 2nd owner

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 21:24:34 MST 2011

I was called to tune this Yamaha GA1 today the lower half of the bass
section tuning pins were very loose, the upper half a little better, lower
tenor barely holding, as I moved up the scale from there it got noticebly
tighter. It appeared to have been CA'd but not too well or whoever did it
started at the treble & ran out by the time he/she got to the bass.
The customer bought it used from a piano "restorer" in Rockford, ILL The
piano hadn't been tuned in about a year & moved about 170 miles to it's
present location. The customer has a dedicated humidity system that keeps
the home humidified to at LEAST 35% today it was 43%, but the piano was
roughly 30 to 55c flat bass being the flattest & a few in the very high
treble being less than 5c flat.
The customer raised the question, when I told/showed him the loose tuning
pins, if the "restorer" had ever tuned the piano to pitch, I replied it was
a good question to which I had no answer.
Advice?
Comments?
Anyone ever heard of this in a Yamaha or in this model Yamaha?
Any help appreciated, will call Yamaha after the holidays,

Mike

--

I think we are a product of all our experiences.
Sanford I. Weill<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/s/sanfordiw283095.html>

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404