[pianotech] Bass bridge repair

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Wed Dec 28 19:20:09 MST 2011

Once the strings are loosened down, it's not that much more work to disengage them from the hitch pins, thread them onto a coat hanger, and move them off to the side giving clear access to the bridge.  I've done three of these so far, and a fourth one is waiting for me.  Not only do I end up with a very clear idea of the state of the various glue joints, but I can sometimes remove the bridge and apron, and drill/glue/screw where necessary from any direction to achieve the results I need.  I can also work the bass strings and give them a twist, which in every case thus far has been an improvement.
Repositioning the bass strings on the hitch pins and bridge is, of course, a pain, but there are not THAT many of them :-).
Floyd Gadd
Manitoba Chapter