[pianotech] Bass Bridge Repair

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 29 09:19:54 MST 2011

Floyd said: "Once the strings are loosened down, it's not that much more
work to disengage them from the hitch pins, thread them onto a coat hanger,
and move them off to the side giving clear access to the bridge. I've done
three of these so far, and a fourth one is waiting for me. Not only do I
end up with a very clear idea of the state of the various glue joints, but
I can sometimes remove the bridge and apron, and drill/glue/screw where
necessary from any direction to achieve the results I need. I can also work
the bass strings and give them a twist, which in every case thus far has
been an improvement.
Repositioning the bass strings on the hitch pins and bridge is, of course,
a pain, but there are not THAT many of them :-)."
Floyd Gadd
Manitoba Chapter

And Ric asked: "On 12/28/2011 6:06 PM, richarducci at comcast.net wrote:
> List, I have an Acrosonic with a shifted
> Bridge cap , moving downward at the beginning of the bass section.
>
> Is it possible to loosen bass strings leaving them on hitch pins, and tap
the cap back in place, ca glue it and place a screw at the end down into
the root? "

> Rick & Floyd,
Why not do it right and remove the bridge and recap? My experience with
Acrosonic Bridges is that they need to be recapped. It is not a difficult
job. 4 -5 hours to complete. Of course, you need woodworking experience and
a shop to go with.. If you do not have those, then send the bridge to
someone that does that sort of thing.<G> Yes, it is an Acro, but any job is
worth doing RIGHT!
That's my take on it.
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.