[pianotech] adjusting grand shift spring

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 29 19:16:54 MST 2011

Great engineering isn't it?<G>
Joe

----- Original Message -----
From: Ryan Sowers
To: joegarrett at earthlink.net;pianotech at ptg.org
Sent: 12/29/2011 8:38:59 AM
Subject: Re: [pianotech] adjusting grand shift spring

Hi Joe,

That's what I have done in the past more or less. However sometimes I've overdone it, and its a hassle to replace and remove the spring, so I was looking for something that I could use to fine tune the tension in the piano. By the way the last spring I adjusted was for a Steinway that a 9-year-old girl was playing. The pedal was so hard it was not workable for her. I removed the spring and braced my knee against the middle and pulled on the ends and SNAP! the thing broke in 3 pieces!! Lucky for me there was just enough screw hole left in one of the pieces that I was able to re install just half the spring, and that ended up feeling pretty nice! When I ordered the replacement, I also ordered an extra so  I'll have one on hand.

Ryan