[pianotech] Soundboard problem?

Roger@Integra.net rgable at integra.net
Thu Dec 29 22:30:25 MST 2011

Claude,

Your clinical analysts of the soundboard suggest you may be relying too much on correcting downbearing to exact your expectations. Certainly downbearing is an important ingredient, but ignoring other soundboard principles may point to a limited and possibly disappointing outcome. Your letter makes little mention of the overall tonal characteristics of the soundboard. Experienced technicians will listen to the overall quality of tone to indicate if there is a potential problem with crown and other factors.

One of the principle ingredients of the piano sound is created by the tension between the ribs and the soundboard panels – which manifests itself through crown. Your description suggests this may be lacking. If so, all the kings horses and all the kings men will not restore this piano to the potential, commensurate to the money your customer will be paying for restoration.

Use extreme caution, lest you damage your reputation.

Roger Gable

P.S. Your suggestion to add material to the bridge to correct downbearing will likely gain you nothing but increased downbearing without any (or possibly negative) tonal benefits.