[pianotech] Soundboard problem?

Claude Harding charding88 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 29 19:06:35 MST 2011

  I have a 1925 Lyon & Healy (5 ft.) grand in the shop.  I have done a
preliminary estimate on restringing, new hammers, action reconditioning,
etc., but I do not yet have a signed contract with the specifics spelled
out.

  I have been doing some closer inspection of the piano, have concerns about
the

soundboard, and could use some counsel.

  The strings are still on, and composite downbearing readings (Fowler
guage) from the top note run

.004" - .010" in Treble 2;

.006" - .009" in Treble 1;

.010" - .009" in Tenor.

  These seem minimal, especially in the top treble, and I will check again
after taking off the strings to see how much the board might come up, but
maybe I can work with these, especially since I may have to recap the top
end of the treble bridge anyway.

  The bass is the main problem.

Top note (28) reads .010".  (That's okay.)

Middle of bridge is .006", and it ranges .004" - .007" through note 4.

THEN, #3 is .000", #2 is -.001", and #1 is -.003".

Inspecting board underneath shows all glue joints solid and at least minimal
crown except for the low end of the bass bridge.   A straight edge will rock
at that point directly beside the lowest soundboard button for the bass
bridge apron, although there is clearance and "crown" on either side of that
spot.

   Tone in bass is not strong; bass bridge is offset construction; clearance
between plate and soundboard at plate screw/post locations is minimal
(1/8").

Perhaps I could re-cap the bass bridge to correct downbearing.  Could I save
this board, and should I even try.  My preliminary estimate did not mention
replacing the soundboard and was based on a home inspection in a crowded
room where getting under the piano was difficult (That's my best excuse.
:-))

  Counsel welcomed.  Criticism accepted.

Thanks.

Claude Harding