[pianotech] Gluing bridge cap sections together

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Tue Jul 12 17:49:29 MDT 2011

On a treble bridge, most of us find ourselves edge gluing the several
sections together, typically 3 to 4 pieces.  Most people do butt joints,
which is what I have always done.  I'll share my latest method, but if
someone has a better, simpler method I am all ears.

I start by cutting the pieces roughly to length, usually having the joint at
the space between the breaks.  I establish the angles which will allow the
grain line follow the direction of the bridge as much as possible and best
spaces the bridge to the width of the piece, and make the angle cut.  So on
to the end.

Of course these are not butt joints where the joining end pieces are in the
same plane, but rather at angles of varying degrees.  And there's the rub.
Because the pieces are at angles, they want to slide away from one another
if you simply clamp them and moreover, the pressure is not applied evenly
and gaps occur  too easily.

I start by jointing the sides of the pieces so that each side is more or
less parallel, and do this for each of the pieces.  Since the pieces are not
always of the same widths, I establish on the bridge where I want the two
pieces to meet along the edge length and set up my jigs accordingly.  The
longest piece I clamp down to my work table in a couple of places so that it
cannot move.  I then take a rectangular piece of wood with a jointed side
and butt that up against the outside edge of the cap piece and screw that
down into the MDF table top with sheet rock screws, taking care that the cap
piece is butting perfectly at angle to the other cap piece.  I take another
rectangular wood block and do the same on the other side of the cap piece.
Then I butt a block of wood against the open end of the cap piece.  Behind
that I screw down another wood block parallel to first block, but with a
couple of capstans screwed into the face of it to butt against the first
piece and be there to apply the clamping pressure.  Then I turn the capstans
until I have very snug pressure.  I also clampdown a piece of wood spanning
the gluing joint.  Wax paper underneath the joint and on top.

This seems to give me pretty snug joints without gaps and a thin glue line.

I have been thinking about using scarf joints as some do, but have not tried
it yet.  Anyone out there doing them?  Below is a link to a  clever jig for
cutting 15 degree scarf joints on a table saw.  It is accompanied by plans
to make it.

http://home.comcast.net/~kathymatsushita/amateurluthier/htmlpages/scarfjig.h
tml

Will Truitt