[pianotech] Echo Issue

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks at att.net
Tue Mar 1 10:41:27 MST 2011

Hi all,

I have a customer with a Kawai Upright BL-51, about 25 years old.  When you play in the middle of the keyboard, there is a obvious ring, or echo after you release your fingers from the keys.  The after ring lasts indefinitely until the sound eventually dies off.

After spending some time troubleshooting where exactly the echo was coming from, I isolated the problem to the bass end.  After playing the middle of the keyboard, I placed my palm on the entire unichord bass section, and the echo immediately vanished.  Everything else, damper alignment, etc seemed to be in good order.

After removing the action, I discovered where the dampers rest on the bass strings, there is a good amount of what appears to be black "gunk" on the strings.  I say "gunk" because when I touch the affected areas with my fingers, it is somewhat sticky.  The gunk is also on the dampers themselves, but it looks more green when on the white damper felt.

So, before I run a quote to this customer, I am hoping to try and discover what caused this problem in the first place, and find the best course of action.

Any help from this list I am sure will be beneficial in aiding in this diagnosis.  I hope the attached pictures go through as well.  Please let me know, thanks!

TODD PIANO WORKS
Matthew Todd, Piano Technician
(979) 248-9578
http://www.toddpianoworks.com