[pianotech] Echo issue

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Mar 1 14:16:39 MST 2011

Matthew, did you check to see if the dampers "follow" the strings when
pressing on the strings away from you? Could be a regulation problem as
well.  I can't explain why there is black sticky stuffs on your fingers
off the strings....weird.  Try putting on new damper felt after cleaning
the strings somehow with a soft brass wire brush and a bit of Naptha.  Is
it a mold of some sort?  New felts seem to be a probable fix with good
regulation.

I've found a lot of old uprights seem to have that "resonance" after a
song, piece, note, etc is played.  I think some of that was favorable in
those days.  Our harpsichord rebuilder mentioned that when he brought back
one of ours after a rebuild.  Apparantly, it was popular in the day for
the instruments to resonate a bit after playing...not like, say, Yamaha's,
that stop immediately, which seems to be the expected these days.  Just
more thoughts....BTW, Nobody liked this dwindling sound, so I and Richard
West had to reconfigure the dampers on it. Ugh! That was a pain after
$7,500!! (lots of other stuff was done, though).

Good luck!

Paul