[pianotech] problem in mating hammers to strings

Shawn Hansen kayceemusic at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 20:04:29 MST 2011

Howdy,
Is this happening to you on new hammers when doing an action rebuild?

How does the strike line look when you prop the shanks up so that they are
parallel with the "ground" or key bed?

The shorter the piano, the more flare there is in that tenor section of
strings, making the need for more of an angle in the hammers.  The more
angle in the bore of the hammer, the more that section is tilted towards the
bass so that the length of hammer can pass its neighbors without touching.
 When you hang brand new hammers with a good deal of tilt the right side
will be higher than the left.  It is usually a pretty subtle thing, but a
shaping of the new hammers when the shanks are sitting parallel to your
bench will help remedy that.  In the end though, the strings, when leveled
are your real guide to fitting the hammers.

Shawn

--
Shawn Hansen RPT
certified piano technician