[pianotech] problem in mating hammers to strings

George F Emerson pianoguru at cox.net
Thu Mar 3 13:38:18 MST 2011

While this discussion focuses on mating hammers to strings, it may be useful
to consider how the hammers were mounted, with or without left to right tilt
for clearance, and how the action was designed, in anticipation of hammer
tilt, or not.  If there is ample spacing, note-to-note, tilting the hammers
may not be necessary, although it might offer a little extra insurance
against the eventual possibility of clearance problems.  On the other hand,
if the note-to-note spacing is particularly tight, tilting the hammer may be
unavoidable.  If the designer intends the hammers to be tilted, the “strike
point scale” may be different from the action scale.  This is most evident
at the bass-tenor break.  Since the bass hammers tilt to the right and the
tenor to the left, the distance between the strike point of the last bass
and first tenor will be less than the distance between their respective
flange screws, a difference of about 2-4mm.

I am at a loss to explain in text how this works.  Next time you hang new
hammers, dry fix the first three tenor hammers, with the centerline of the
hammer perfectly vertical while the shank is horizontal.  Lift the middle
hammer to its strike point, and it will move very close to the hammer to the
left, even though they were perfectly spaced at rest.  Rotate all three
hammers on their shanks to the left, just a tiny bit; it doesn’t take much.
You can find a point at which they are still perfectly spaced at rest, while
the middle hammer is evenly spaced between its neighbors, when elevated.

Some would argue that hammers must be hung perfectly vertical.  Other would
argue that the bass and tenor hammers must be tilted.  I would suggest that
we should first know what the design intent was.  There is not a lot that
can be done about the note-to-note spacing.  We’re pretty much stuck with
that.  If the action spacing is different from the strike points, as
described above and suggesting an intent to tilt the hammers, but the hammer
are hung with no tilt, the hammer flanges will need to be rotate to bring
the strike point of the hammer under its strings (not an easy thing to do on
tubular action rails).  Conversely, to tilt the hammers on an action that
was not designed for it, presents the same problem in the opposite
direction.  Then there is the misalignment of the knuckle to the wippen and
the hammer tail to the backchecks.  This is not to say that you cannot
violate the original design intent, if you feel you have good reason.  Just
be aware of the unintended consequences.

All of that said, I suspect that David’s conjecture is correct.  On a very
heavy blow, the hammer may well want to sway in the direction it is already
tilting.  High speed photography does reveal an amazing amount of shank
flexing, although such photograph usually draws attention to flexing in its
vertical motion with little or no perspective to observe any sideways
movement.  Pressing the hammer to the strings from the jack tender requires
sufficient force to prevent the jack from tripping, and it is hard to judge
just how much of that force is transferred from the hammer to the strings.
I prefer to use a hook, made from music wire, to lift the shank and hammer
to the strings.  At least one can better feel how much pressure is being
applied from the hammer to the string, and control the pressure to be just
enough to damp the string(s), not enough to encourage the hammer to flex in
the direction it is already tilting.  This could be used to support the
argument for not tilting hammers (although I generally do).  But, It may
just have to be a trade off that has to be made in a particularly tight
action scale.

Frank Emerson