[pianotech] problem in mating hammers to strings

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 1 20:33:34 MST 2011

Hi, David:
    I came across the same thing, but mostly in the bass.  It perplexed me until someone on this list explained it.  I think it was Frank Emerson.  The geometry of hammers bored at an angle is very complex, and surprising things happen.  The striking surface of an angled hammer doesn't stay level as it swings.  Straight bored hammers will always stay level.
    To illustrate, take a small jar in your hand and keep the axis perpendicular to your arm and level to the floor.  If you lift your arm, you'll see that the jar axis will always stay level.  Now angle the jar, and raise your arm.  One end of the jar will be higher than the other as the axis begins to tilt.
    This may help envisioning why you're having trouble this way.
     Angled hammers must be hung so they are perpendicular to the strings as they contact, not as they rest on the rail.   Perhaps your hammers aren't hung properly..
    I hope this makes some sense.
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego