[pianotech] Clicking noise in Acrosonic

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Mar 1 20:49:07 MST 2011

On 3/1/2011 9:25 PM, John Formsma wrote:

>     If the grommets were hard enough that you determined they needed
>     changing, they likely did. That doesn't mean you have to do the
>     Corfam replacement for free. Clicks can and do come from more than
>     one possible source. When someone shows up in the ER with
>     appendicitis and a broken leg, it's not a fix one and go sort of
>     thing. There's nothing in the laws of the universe preventing two or
>     more things being wrong at the same time.
>

> Sure, I understand that, and agree. I did say prior to the job that
> replacing the grommets would fix the clicks ... because it always has.
> (I did not examine the hammer butts or catchers prior to the price
> quote.) The owner understands that problems can be complex, but I'd
> still like to give as much remedy to that as possible.

Yea, I recognize the situation. That's why I hesitate to ever state that
THIS WILL fix the problem, and say that this is statistically most
likely to work, if I'm right. I'm not always right, and I try to make
that clear, but I try to have a plan B, which I explain before starting.
Then, getting lucky makes everyone happy, but the potentially
disappointing reality is less traumatic.

Whatever the case, I try to minimize the damage for being wrong before I
start.
Ron N