[pianotech] Keyblock/frame bedding problem

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Thu Mar 3 14:13:17 MST 2011

Greetings,

Working on a Kawai GE-1, bedding the keyframe. There are about 2-3 mms between the keyframe guide pin and the plastic keyblock plate, so there's definitely knocking and I can lift the frame about 2-3 mms with the blocks screwed in. I can't lower the plate and I don't want to bend the pin.

Am I overlooking something?

Maybe.   It would be good to check your bedding without the stack and keys.  If the glides are too low, it will tend to lift the entire keybed up at the front.  I like to bed the keyframe (front and back rails ) by itself with the glides out of the way, then lower them until they are off the keybed by an amount that can be erased by light hand pressure on the top of the glide.  The glides can be higher from the bass end up, with the treblemost glide in light contact.  This compensates for the decreasing weight of the keys.
   Then, place the stack on there and make sure all the cleats are in contact with the feet of the stack. Shim as necessary.
Once the weight of the keys is added, the frame will flex slightly, downward, insuring contact of everything.
Good luck,
Ed Foote RPT