[pianotech] Keyblock/frame bedding problem

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 00:08:18 MST 2011

What cleats?
    --David Nereson, RPT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed Foote" <a440a at aol.com>
To: <pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2011 2:13 PM
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Keyblock/frame bedding problem

Greetings,
Working on a Kawai GE-1, bedding the keyframe. There are about
2-3 mms between the keyframe guide pin and the plastic keyblock
plate, so there's definitely knocking and I can lift the frame
about 2-3 mms with the blocks screwed in. I can't lower the
plate and I don't want to bend the pin.
Am I overlooking something?

Maybe.   It would be good to check your bedding without the
stack and keys.  If the glides are too low, it will tend to lift
the entire keybed up at the front.  I like to bed the keyframe
(front and back rails ) by itself with the glides out of the
way, then lower them until they are off the keybed by an amount
that can be erased by light hand pressure on the top of the
glide.  The glides can be higher from the bass end up, with the
treblemost glide in light contact.  This compensates for the
decreasing weight of the keys.
   Then, place the stack on there and make sure all the cleats
are in contact with the feet of the stack. Shim as necessary.
Once the weight of the keys is added, the frame will flex
slightly, downward, insuring contact of everything.
Good luck,
Ed Foote RPT