[pianotech] Rusty piano part deux - Hitch pins

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Fri Mar 4 00:35:20 MST 2011

Greetings,

Brief recap  - 2004 Kohler & Campbell KGC650 (6'1") spent all 7 years across the street from the beach.  Everything is rusty.

Piano was purchase by my client.  They want me to restring the entire piano and put in new nickel plated tuning pins. This piano has individual plain wire strings tied off on every single hitch pin.  The hitch pins are completely rusty and at first I was contemplating cleaning them.  After looking at them tonight, I'm thinking it might be easier and less time consuming to just replace all the hitch pins.

I searched through the archives but there isn't a lot of info. What is involved in replacing the hitch pins? It's a job I haven't done before, but at the outset, doesn't look like it would be that difficult.  But I've been deceived before!  :-)

Any hints, tips, tricks, procedures would be most helpful.

Thanks!

Regards,

Rob McCall

McCall Piano Service, LLC