[pianotech] Help Identify Recorded Piano

Gary Doudna doudna440 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 18:23:28 MST 2011

I have wondered the same for decades, and chalked it up to the Van Gelder
mystique.  One could readily say, "That's a Blue Note recording".  It must,
somehow, have to do with the particular mics used and the EQ-ing done in the
studio, rather than a particular piano used.  Some of the effect can be
accomplished in the regulation of the dampers, so they return sooner than
they do in the usual regulation of the dampers, but the sound?... a mystery
waiting to be solved.  Thanks for the inquiry, Don.  Hopefully someone can
shed some light on the subject.
Gary

--
Doudnas