[pianotech] Pin removal speed

bergpiano dan at bergpiano.com
Tue Mar 8 05:20:44 MST 2011

Rob,

I use a pnuematic impact wrench. I would say it reduces the glaze with the
little impact movements. It removes a pin in about 2 seconds. You have to
control it to find the right speed. It can go too fast especially toward the
top of the hole. If you can't hold the removed pin against the inside of
your wrist it is too hot,  just like the Chinese tea cup test. Then do some
testing with cleaning brushes. Gun cleaning brushes work great. You may need
to ream the hole with a reamer or drill bit. Sometimes certain areas of the
block require different cleaning methods. As an example: when  restrung with
a #4 pin or Lo Torq pin you can end up with a consistent 130 to 150  inch lb
torque for the most part. A 3 ½ pin would lower the torq.

Dan Berg
Berg Piano Services
407-884-1814
http://bergpiano.com