[pianotech] Hanging Hammers using a Mirror

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Mar 8 08:51:02 MST 2011

At 08:12 -0700 08/03/2011, <johnparham at piano88.com> wrote:

>Has anyone hung grand hammers using a mirror to check for vertical?  I
>have a picture in my files with no source name on it, and I'm curious
>about the procedure.

I haven't any pictures of the latest arrangement but yes, I always
use a mirror.

The upper picture is just a test with the old tray, the top surface
of which is now covered entirely with a plate glass mirror.  The tray
is adjustable for left/right cast using the rubber-footed screws at
each end and for back/front cast using the screw in the middle.  The
set-square is now redundant, though I do occasionally use it to
double-check on those days when I can't believe my eyes.

The sideways adjustment of the tray is for gluing on the hammers in
the bass and tenor where they are cast to right and left.

JD