[pianotech] Sheesh!

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 8 09:11:14 MST 2011

John,
Count me into the "forever.." group.
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I

----- Original Message -----
From: John Formsma
To: joegarrett at earthlink.net;Pianotech List
Sent: 3/8/2011 7:52:50 AM
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Sheesh!

I hear ya ... although I believe a web forum exists that can really work well. For ease of use, readability, etc, I like what www.bikeforums.net uses. (It's vBulletin.) Threads are all kept together, and if there is any new activity in a thread, the thread title is bolded at your next login. That makes is super-convenient to stay current with all the discussions you're with which you're interested. It's also fairly easy to send inline photos and/or videos. Private messaging is available.

Also nice is a preview feature. Hovering the mouse cursor over a thread title brings up a preview window, with the first few lines of the message displayed. This is really nice because you can tell what the topic is without clicking on it and going to a new window.

What I don't like there is the ability to quote. It's harder than traditional email, although I like the displayed result.

What PTG went to now is clunky at best. The "new" feels outdated. I'd much prefer the format of Pianoworld to what I've seen so far. And prefer to stay with email rather than what is being done currently. I don't think it will help discussion at all.

There are surely some things in any forum software that won't please everyone. I understand it's a lot of work, and I appreciate the efforts. However, it's just not user friendly, and my fear is that people will forever jump off this wagon.

--
JF