[pianotech] Pianotech/CAUT: RE:New Format

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Mar 8 18:22:27 MST 2011

On 3/8/2011 5:49 PM, Joe Defazio wrote:

> Let's not "take our toys and go home."  Let's make it better
> instead.

Absolutely! Or at least leave lame enough alone rather than killing it
outright.

My list:
Email listserv, much like we have already. As JD said, I can delete what
I'm not interested in, archive what I am, and organize it as I wish. The
software doesn't presume to do the thinking for me, or pretend to be
something it's not as it prevents me from doing what I want. Digest form
for those who want it, and a plain text option on the server. I do like
that little feature. There will always be the lazy clod, ignorant sod,
or outright sociopath who will return post 800K of pictures, 13 levels
of replies, or the entire digest repeatedly, and there's really nothing
administrative or system specific that can be done about it without
shooting legitimate reposting in the foot. Governments worldwide through
all history, recorded or rumored, have proven beyond all doubt that you
can't legislate good sense, or even minimal competence. Can't elect it
either, for the most part, but that's off topic.

Editing already posted messages, I don't see a reason for. We do it in
real life by passing through again with revisions and corrections, and
that's the way the listserv should work as well. History has been, and
is being rewritten altogether too rampantly already without condoning it
on list.

Searchable archives are imperative but problematic. The results will
never be better than our own organization of the original threads
posted, and the correlation between the subject line and the subject.
Pretty much doomed there, I expect. What I consider a major sin to date
though, is the disassociation and apparent loss of most of the
attachments posted with the original messages. A whole bunch of photos,
documents, and spreadsheets have been posted through the years that seem
to have fallen into the bit bucket somewhere along the line and
evaporated. Those who were on line at the time and interested, saved
copies in their own archives, safe from the inquiring minds of all the
more recent list participants. There's a lot of valuable (to us)
information there. What happened to them?

Otherwise, what's wrong with the old format?
Ron N