[pianotech] New Format

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 20:04:54 MST 2011

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 8:18 PM, Delwin D Fandrich <del at fandrichpiano.com>wrote:

Oh, I’ll at least try to use it. But, from what I’ve seen (and heard (and
> read)) so far it is probably going to be more complicated and cumbersome
> than I’m going to have patience for.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's like bad webmail. It doesn't tell you which
message is unread, and it doesn't organize into threads. And, it orders the
messages from newest to oldest. So you're left looking at a reply, and
digging for the original. And, if you reply, rather than sending you back to
the same forum, it kicks you to a page where you have to choose your forum
all over again.

> I’m still wondering what it was that was so broken about this list format
> that required such a complex solution to fix. I rather liked being able to
> open my email, quickly scan the new stuff, delete or read at will and move
> on. What looks like progress is not always progress.

Perhaps you're right. I'd rather have this list than the other ... for sure.
The list is better for those who want to save content for later reference or
perusal. A web forum is faster moving, at least the one I'm on. I like the
mouse-over preview feature, automatic thread organization, and the thread
bolding for new messages in it. With a moderated forum, there is also the
ability to move a message to a different forum. For instance, if someone
accidentally posted about voicing in the refinishing forum, it could be
moved.

--
JF