[pianotech] Cluinky Noises

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 8 20:55:19 MST 2011

No where do I see where any felt, of any consequence, has been replaced, wth the exception of the sticker felt. I am curious what type f sticker system and how the felt is glued on. The reason for felt, (with the exception ofthe hammers), is to quiet the mating parts. I would suggest, new key frame felt, as a start. then the hammer rail felt, including the hammer rail rest felt, (what everyone likes to add felt to.<G>) Possible ways to quiet such noises, is to isolate the action from the key bed/sound board as best as possible. I've added felt to the tops of the action bracket bolts...(of course, I had to reset them lower, to maintain the strike points). Getting rid of the "clunks" can really be challenging. There are some pianos that simply defy any attempts, so don't promise the farm.<G>
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police