[pianotech] Wm. Knabe Manufacturing Date

Patrick Draine patrickdraine at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 05:20:07 MST 2011

American-Aeolian was still making Knabes in their E. Rochester facility in
1979. By then they were nearly indistinguishable from the Chickerings being
made in the same factory, and the quality was on a downward slope (poor
sales, and a couple bankruptcies were on the horizon).
Your serial number forgery scenario is certainly possible; disappointing
behavior surfaces all the time.
Patrick