[pianotech] A Way Forward

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Tue Mar 8 21:13:10 MST 2011

On 03/08/2011 06:39 PM, Duaine Hechler wrote:
> For the computer savvy:
>
> Here is what Wikipedia has to offer for Electronic mailing lists:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_mailing_list
>
> Someone else knows for sure, but I think we use to use:    mailman
>
> More later,
> Duaine

Here are the main contenders: (from Wikipedia and/or respective websites)

Mailman (which I believe what was being used); majordomo; Listserv; dadamail

-----------------

Mailman:

Features
Mailman is free software for managing electronic mail discussion and
e-newsletter lists. It runs on GNU/Linux and most Unix-like systems, and
requires Python 2.1.3 or newer. GNU Mailman works with Unix
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix> style mail servers
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail_servers> such as Postfix
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postfix_%28software%29>, Sendmail
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sendmail> and qmail
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qmail>.
Features include:

    * A Web browser <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_browser> interface
      for list administration, archiving of messages, spam
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_spam> filtering.
    * A customizable home page for each mailing list
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mailing_list>.
    * Integrated bounce detection and automatic handling of bouncing
      addresses.
    * Integrated spam <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_spam> filters
    * Majordomo
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majordomo_%28software%29>-style
      email based commands.
    * Multiple list owners and moderators
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_moderator>.
    * Per-list privacy features <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privacy>,
      such as closed-subscriptions, private archives, private membership
      rosters, and sender-based posting rules.
    * Support for virtual domains.
    * Web based subscribing and unsubscribing. Users can temporarily
      disable their accounts, select email digest
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_digest> modes, hide their
      email addresses from other members, etc.

----------------

majordomo:

Majordomo controls a list of addresses for some mail transport system
(like sendmail or smail) to handle. /Majordomo itself performs no mail
delivery/ (though it has scripts to format and archive messages).
Here's a short list of some of the features of Majordomo:

    * Supports various types of lists, including moderated
    * All list management activities are handled by email, so list
      owners don't need access to Majordomo server machine
    * Supports archival and remote retrieval of messages
    * Supports digests
    * Modular design - use only the features you need
    * Written in Perl - easily customizable and expandable
    * Includes support for FTPMAIL
    * Supports confirmation of subscriptions, to protect against forged
      subscription requests
    * List filters, based on header or body regular expressions

-----------------------

Listserv:

Why LISTSERV?

User-Friendly

The LISTSERV Web interface simplifies mailing list and server
management, allowing you to control your lists and administer your
server from anywhere on the Internet.

Versatile

LISTSERV manages all types of mailing lists, including email
newsletters, announcement lists, discussion groups and email
communities, providing the versatility you need for all your email list
initiatives.

Flexible

LISTSERV allows for highly customized set-ups to suit your exact needs.
The Web interface can be fully customized to seamlessly blend with an
existing Website or corporate look.

Scalable

Thanks to LISTSERV's speed and power, expensive hardware is not
required. LISTSERV excels even in modest environments and allows for
plenty of room for growth.

Secure

LISTSERV is the only software of its kind with built-in virus
protection. The system scans all messages for viruses before delivery.
In addition, the password- protected interface is sure to keep your site
secure.

for *safe, closed-loop opt-in subscrptions*, send out mass mailings,
keeps an archive of your messages and allows you to share your messages
in lots of neat ways. Dada Mail runs on your web hosting account and you
interact with it through your web browser.
Dada Mail is rich with features, but tries to Keep It Simple. Dada Mail
is designed to favor flexibility, extensibility and ease-of-use over
core speed or extremely flashy, but hard-to-use features.
Dada Mail is designed to be installed, setup and understood by regular
people who have websites, but has enough advanced features to entice
more proficient users. If you've ever installed a bulletin board or web
blog software, you should be able to install Dada Mail without too many
problems.
Dada Mail is free software that you're able to use, modify, share and
enhance under the terms of the GNU General Public License. Dada Mail is
written in Perl because we love Perl.

Duaine

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home & Business user of Linux - 11 years