[pianotech] New Format

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 12:03:53 MST 2011

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 12:24 PM, Mr. Mac's <tune-repair at allegiance.tv>wrote:

> On Mar 9, 2011, at 11:59 AM, Ryan Sowers wrote:
>
> > Obviously messing with this list was a huge mistake for the Board. …
>
> Ryan,
>
> According to who, you?
>
> I submit this. Those in opposition to this new format have their own
> agenda,
>   which is not necessarily in the best interests of the Piano Technicians
> Guild.

Do huh what? Seriously?

Opposing a discussion format means a person has an agenda in opposition to
the best interests of the PTG? Surely you could clarify that for those of us
who have shared legitimate reasons for being opposed to the new format. I
like PTG, and I like the direction we've been heading. That does not mean
that I must also like the new format.

For instance, the new color scheme does nothing for me. I don't like it.
But, hey, it's a matter of preference, so I've not said anything about it.
That's a non-issue for me.

The new discussion format isn't up to snuff. It's glorified webmail, and I
was getting better results through Gmail. Now I will reserve the right to
change my mind, but nobody yet has posted anything that has changed it yet.
Tutorials available anywhere? I haven't seen 'em yet. Be glad to look at one
if you can point me to it.

To see the new messages in the new format, I have to go to my.ptg.org, click
on 'Discussions', then click on Pianotech, and then figure out which message
is new ... because the new ones are not bolded. The old way, with email sent
to Gmail, all new discussions were bolded (and for the most part, kept in
the same thread). Ditto for Pianoworld. I don't think it's too much to ask
with the new format, nor do I think opposers should be labeled as
anti-thetical to the progress of PTG.

I await enlightenment. :-)  (And that's a real grin, too, just in case you
misunderstood.)

--
JF