[pianotech] New Format

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Wed Mar 9 12:48:24 MST 2011

JF:
>> I rather liked being able to
>> open my email, quickly scan the new stuff, delete or read at will and move
>> on.
Exactly my feeling and thoughts...
>> What looks like progress is not always progress.
Great statement. Deep practical wisdom.

> Yes, absolutely agree.
A concensus.... :---)

> There is, i think, the aspect of the "paradigm" or "model" of our
> discussion, too.
This, IMO, is the heart, the crucial and foundational issue of what's at stake...

> The email mailing list is always CURRENT. It is the conversation going on
> in the room at any one time.  In a real room full of people, we can come
> in, and join in the discussion of any little group of persons that sounds
> interesting to us. For a time, we might leave the room, closing the door
> behind us. But then we an come back in and rejoin,  with a quick listen to
> everything that's going on, before homing in our our preferred
> conversation.
>
> This list is like a little community with conversation always going on. We
> might leave the room by  not contributing or reading, for a while, because
> of holidays or family circumstances or whatever, but we can come back into
> the room and quickly see what current conversation is going on.
>
> It feels current, and lively, and like a community.  What goes around
> comes around, and discussions and topics do get re-visited, and questions
> that were answered four years ago, asked again.  But that's probably OK,
> in the main.
This is a concise, elegant, brilliant encapsulation of what I'm afraid of losing with the new and in my view way less intimate structure.
Alan G., I hope you're not including me in those voices that hurt you. I recognize and deeply respect your purpose-driven life of service and how it intersects with me via the PTG---AND I will always, with that respect, tell you the truth as I perceive it in a direct, unadorned way, as befits a native of Omaha, Nebraska. I sincerely hope that the email configuration as it currently exists will continue; a real feeling of community is fragile and ethereal; we should strive with all our might to nurture and protect it.

This list has leapt (for you Brits) past so many of the old barriers that kept us away from a real, authentic, day-to-day relationship with our colleagues. Because of this list, we judge less; we are exponentially better craftspeople; we like each other (by and large) and we are in an active learning curve, in many dimensions, every day. I've made lifelong friendships as a result of this list; expanded my business; learned new ways of doing things and have been inspired to get out of my comfort zone endless times.

Pianotech is a real and passionate part of my life; I want it to stay that way and nurture this immediacy, this natural relationship. That's my stand, and that's my commitment. I pledge to treat every aspect of this subject with calm and respect, and to keep personal judgements and invective, subtle or overt, out of my participation.

Please, PLEASE post here as if you were face-to-face and eye-to-eye with a roomful of dudes and dudettes. Please. JD, I would like to see you apologize for your outburst. That was not simply plain speaking, brother. That was hurtful. Please think AND feel before you hit SEND.

My best to all----

David A.