[pianotech] Tuning the duplex sections

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Mar 10 02:05:40 MST 2011

At 01:57 -0500 10/03/2011, George F Emerson wrote:

>...I suspect that, at that time, they did not have an adequate
>understanding of the effects of longitudinal mode partials, or how
>to calculate their frequencies.   It is correct the longitudinal
>mode is not affected by tension.

Thank you for your informative post, Frank.  Thatˆs roughly how it
appeared to me.  Iˆm not sure Iˆve ever seen a formula for
calculating the longitudinal frequencies.  Have you got such a
formula_

>...usually on the low side of the 20 KHz limit.  That being the
>case, how can it be that longitudinal partials are so significant in
>that range of the piano's scale, where they are inaudible to the
>human ear?  This is not to discount the phenomena of what is called
>a whistling sound in the upper range of the piano, but rather to
>attribute it to the transverse modes of vibration in the
>non-speaking segments of the strings, not the longitudinal modes of
>these segments.

Yes, thatˆs what I, and presumably a lot of other people, have always
assumed˜ hence my surprise at what I read in the patent.

>The longitudinal mode is of more significance in the bass range of
>the piano, but that is another subject.

So far as I remember this was the area Conklin was concerned with, so
much concerned that he designed a very complicated bass string making
machine to produce strings with predictable longitudinal frequencies.
I doubt if it was practical, having seen the design, but thatˆs
another matter.

>Most "modern" thinking is that duplex scaling does more harm than
>good. There is a finite amount of energy delivered from the hammer
>to the speaking length of the string.  If that energy is dissipated
>too quickly, being used up in exciting the vibration of the duplex
>segments, it robs the speaking length of the energy required for a
>desired longer sustain-time.  At risk of raising the ire and
>ridicule of the disciples of this logic, I must disagree.

I must say I was amazed to find duplex scaling on this ancient
Brinsmead concert grand -- which I forgot to mention also has a
cast-in front bridge (capo) throughout.  And Steinway copiers like
Yahaha and Rachals were quite quick to adopt duplex scaling.  I
wasn't aware of this "modern" thinking -- my impression was that in
recent years almost all previously "plain" makers, such as Bechstein,
had introduced duplex scaling.  Are you saying there is now a
movement away from it?

>...For this reason, I have to agree, in part, with the claims of the
>Steinway patent that duplex scaling bolsters the harmonic structure
>of the speaking length, and not only enriches the sound, but
>contributes to a greater sustain, by producing a more efficient
>system of recapturing already spent energy from the soundboard.
>Those who would disagree with this would question if I have object
>measures from testing to verify this.  The answer is that I do not.
>All I can offer is subjective observation that the tone is
>noticeably weakened when duplex segments are muted out.

It would be good to have scientific measurements but there is
certainly a special and very desirable richness of tone associated
with the Steinway and other well-made pianos with duplex scaling.

>...For the desired effect, it is, of course, critical that the
>duplex segments match the frequencies of the harmonic partials of
>the speaking lengths.  It is not good enough to rely on measurements
>of lengths.  One must tune the duplex segment, moving the duplexer
>in or out to match the musical interval defined by the mathematical
>relationship.  With a continuous duplexer, the best that can be done
>is to tune the first and last duplex segments of each continuous
>duplexer.  If the design of the duplexer is accurate, the
>intervening notes should be in tune with their respective speaking
>lengths, as well.

I attach a couple of pictures of the Brinsmead showing the front
bridge and the duplex arrangement.  Though the piano is in fine
condition, the hammers were re-covered about 15 years ago and I
shan't be able to judge the tone properly until I have installed some
good new hammer-heads.

JD