[pianotech] Tuning the duplex sections

George F Emerson pianoguru at cox.net
Thu Mar 10 06:59:48 MST 2011

Regarding a formula for calculating the longitudinal mode partial, this is
what I am using:
LM=100355/(SQRT(((OD^2/CD^2)*(WM/100))+0.11)*L)

where LM is longitudinal mode frequency in Hz
OD is the overall diameter, including wound string wrap, in thousandths of
an inch
CD is the core wire diameter, in thousandths of an inch
WM is a constant specific to the wrap material, for copper, 89
and L is speaking length., in inches
I'll let you deal with the metric conversions.

I am in China at the moment, and do not have access to my library, but I
believe I got that formula from a book on longitudinal mode partials,
written by Ellis? and available, I think, from the PTG store.  I am not a
mathematician, so I cannot confirm the veracity of this formula, but you can
take it for what it is worth, or buy the book from PTG.

Regarding Harold Conklin's work, I worked for Baldwin for 10 years and had
access to Mr. Conklin's research notes, fascinating material.  His winding
machinery was rather complex, but Baldwin's string maker, at the time, did
produce strings to his specifications, although the more practice machinery
that they used to make the strings was not as precise as he had envisioned
in his design.  A weakness of his wound string design was that the core
wires were of an unusually small diameter, and prone to breaking more easily
than "typical" bass strings. To some extent, what was gained in avoidance of
conflicts between longitudinal partials and harmonic transverse partials was
lost in string longevity in heavy use environments (that is, very heavy
handed pianists).

Frank Emerson