[pianotech] OT FOR SHAME! was: Email Lists and Websites

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 10:06:15 MST 2011

An email listserv is one of the basic forms of communication on the web.
There are literally ten's of thousands of these listservs on the web most of
them operating at no cost to the users. I just can't buy the fact that this
is too expensive for PTG to maintain along side the new system.

As far as dilution goes - the REAL dilution will occur if we lose some of
the most important contributors.

I think the biggest mistake that was made was that the folks who made the
final decision didn't realize how personal and very important on many levels
these lists are. For some members it's "just a list" for others it has
become an important part of their professional and personal life and should
not be taken lightly by those who don't see it that way.

JIM MOY WROTE:
With Andy and Ron's help, I integrated the existing listserv with some
forum software much like the one that operates the PianoWorld forums.
The two operated together so seamlessly that very few noticed it
happened. The listserv continued to operate as usual, and the forum
operated in parallel. All emails on the listserv were funneled into a
likewise named web forum, and all posts to the web forum were
forwarded out to the listserv. Those who preferred the email interface
could stick with it, and those who preferred the forum interface could
participate from there. The integration was such that user experience
in both seemed apropos to its environment. It has since been taken
down because of its maintenance issues, and the versions of the
software are now outdated, but it demonstrated an approach that could
move the community in that direction with little disruption. At the
same time, the forum seemed capable of making the PTG archives and
sponsored forums more visible thus raising PTG's stature on the
Internet.

So for a time, at least, both systems were running and nobody really knew.

>From what I gather following this topic, it is the simplicity and immediacy
that is so appreciated by the users. Imagine someone coming into your shop
and taking your favorite regulating tools and replacing them with ones that
make your job more cumbersome and less enjoyable. That is essentially what
has happened. The longer I'm in this business the less tools I seem to need.
I look at the "Key-leveller" and wonder at the complexity and awkwardness of
it. I can achieve the same results in less time with a short $5
straightedge, and of course my trillion $$ machine (thank you Dave
Andersen!)

I'm worried that so much effort has been put into this new system that "Damn
the torpedoes, full steam ahead!" is going to prevail. What the list needs
to remember is that PTG is a political machine, that works very well but you
have to apply your energy to it in a thoughtful way to get results.

All it takes is a motion in council and sound arguments to back it up to get
the machine to do its thing.

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter